Saturday, July 25, 2015

Jobs/Roles in the ECE Community: National/Federal Level

The national/federal organizations or communities of practice that appealed to me are:

National Association for the Education of Young Children- http://www.naeyc.org
I chose this association because of all the work it does in all areas pertaining to young children.  They have published many articles about culture and language and as a part of this masters program, we are required to read some of these.  One of these resources is their position statement on responding to linguistic and cultural diversity. I would feel honored to work with them. 

The job opportunity that interests me here is working with the division that focuses on diversity, specifically culture and language.  Looking at the types of articles they have published in their journal, I see that they are taking into consideration the factors and issues that relate to diversity.  I would like to be a part of the team that helps with the research and presentation of this important information.

Division for Early Childhood- http://www.dec-sped.org
I chose this organization because it offers a position statement specifically on integrating cultural and linguistic diversity into policy and practice.  The document outlines, for professionals, how to be responsive to children, families, and other professionals regarding these topics.

The job opportunity that interests me here is the lead teacher in a toddler classroom.  The fact that a preferred qualification is the ability to speak a language other than English is what stood out for me.  I feel that for me working with the children directly is where I can make a difference and also by building relationships with families.

National Institute for Early Education Research- http://nieer.org
I chose this institute because they publish research on different topics in early childhood education and child development.  It also assists state and national policy makers and other organizations.


As far as job opportunities, the institute is looking for data collectors nationwide to help with their research.  Their research topics include English Language Learners which is the area I would be interested in working in.

No comments:

Post a Comment